Author Topic: Karoo Mid 2  (Read 1756 times)

Sean

• Engineer
    • View Profile
Karoo Mid 2
« on: May 03, 2010, 05:45:50 PM »
Well I gave up and phoned on Wednesday to move "up" to Karoo Mid 2 from Max, so that my streaming works.  I get told a date, confirmed by letter, of 7th May.  Yet I see my router has already moved to ADSL2+ and sync of 5.5mbps (as opposed to ADSL and 4.5 before).

And as I predicted to them, it's unstable, we did this test quite a long time ago, and it just drops off, the SNR is 6.5 at best.  So now I have a whole weekend of connection up, connection down, and obviously this is no good for watching streams!

I have lost all faith in this company.

I assume there will be a profile of about 4.5 for ADSL2+ they can put me on.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:48:44 PM by Sean »

karlwb

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
Re: Karoo Mid 2
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:31:02 PM »
I had / have the same problem.

When I was on ADSL (old MAX package) I had a very stable sync speed of 8128kbps down and 488kbps up so I didn't think I would have a problem when I want on to the ADSL2+ package, but I did - it was very unstable indeed. KC moved my profile down to 6meg and it was better but still not as stable as my old ADSL connection.

Went through the usual rigmarole with their help desk (who were as helpful as they could be until they reached the end of their crib sheet) and they finally said that it was due to my Linksys Router not being very good with KC lines!

I swapped it out for a Cisco 877 and still had the same problem. Their excuse next was that the Linksys and the 877 were the same and I should swap it for a Netgear or a Thompson..... needles to say I think this is a load of rot.

They said that the next step would to to get a lines man to come to the house and do a line test and when if they found no fault they would charge me the best part of 100 for the privilege. needless to say I didn't bother, as I guess they knew I wouldn't.

Another customer successfully shined on.

Karl

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:39:31 PM by karlwb »

karlwb

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »
Just a though, but can you manually select your connection type on your router?

You might be able to select G.DMT so it connects the old way (ADSL) rather than the unstable ADSL2+

KC kit in the exchange should auto select; you might not necessarily have an ADSL2+ compatible router at home so manually selecting G.DMT on your router is the same as not having an ADSL2+ compliant router. However you can't do this on all routers though.

Karl

Sean

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:56:52 PM »
I had a man come (for free) ages ago when I first started complaining.  Even though it was obvious it was throughput (i.e. Karoo.co.uk downloads perfect, others packet shaped) they insisted they send an engineer, but at no cost.  He changed the socket, put me on a 2mb profile (even though 4.5 was fine on ADSL) and left lol  This is the kind of engineer visit we can all do without.

I have a Thomson adsl2+ wireless router, the one they used to (not sure if they still do) give you for free when you sign up, although I bought mine.

The thing that most annoys me as I knew this would happen, as when I complained all that time ago, they put me on ADSL2+, which yes it fixed the packet loss (caused by packet shaper) but it caused the unstable line.

bobthebuilder

• Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 07:10:24 PM »
switch back to max if you can

mrX

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »
Have you rang tech support to see if they just need to adjust your line, incase its been set too high?

Sean

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »
I will, but I hadn't expected them to do this until a working day, i.e. 7th May.  I ideally need to be on a 4.5 profile, and if its as bad, it's back to Max, but I can't stand the packet shaping, why should I suffer because of their poor copper.