Author Topic: How much to do you trust the Karoo Usage Monitor  (Read 7349 times)

pdwright2k

• Tech Support
    • View Profile
    • PD Photography
How much to do you trust the Karoo Usage Monitor
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »
Hi all

So how much to you trust the usage monitor??

Only asking as my usage seems to be very steep. For example for my last 12 months usage I avergae about 35gb a month I was on mid 2 so had to pay for 5gb excess usage per month average. So i have moved to Mid 3 and so far this month the usage monitor says i have used 41 gb in 18 days. seems strange to me as for 5 of thoses days i was in london with the only internet connected device we own with me. I have checked my routers logs and no other device as been connected to it, and the usage monitor on my laptop only shows 23gb used.

I just have my doubts about its accuracy (espically as they have had to reset usage a number of times in the past) and even more so as they use it as a revenue generator by charging for excess usage.

soggyrolo

• Tech Support
    • View Profile
Re: How much to do you trust the Karoo Usage Monitor
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »
challenge the usage.be a thorn in their side.
I often question their phone bills , as ours is always around 70 quid per quarter, and it's a bloody ornament we don't use it.This is despite us being on the number 1 package or whatever they call it.

chriscoates81

• Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:21:12 PM »
challenge the usage.be a thorn in their side.
I often question their phone bills , as ours is always around 70 quid per quarter, and it's a bloody ornament we don't use it.This is despite us being on the number 1 package or whatever they call it.

Isn't the base package something like 11 a month?

It wouldn't surprise me if they mess up the settings, i wonder how many people know how much they've used.

pdwright2k

• Tech Support
    • View Profile
    • PD Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
At least with telephone bills and mobile bills you get an itemisation so you can see what you have spent, with the adsl usage they just tell you that you have used x number of gb's and you have to pay it. I imagine this will be a very nice cash cow for krapoo espically after increasing it to 2 / gb but looking over the usage logs on my router I very much doubt i am using what they say i am using.

Also seems strange that on mid 2 i was always going over by about 5-8 gb and yet since moving to mid 3 seems my usage is again going to be about 5-8gb over the package (even though i get 20gb more per month) yet my usage of the internet has not changed.

DarkJester

• Manager
  • Trollhunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:17:06 PM »
I have noticed some odd things on the usage monitor recently...

When it gets near the changeover to the next period if you are using it constantly then sometimes it carries over a few gig or stops updating your usage in the current period (with no carryover)
Someone is harassing me by texting me "ngba" every night at 11pm.

I have have enough, its bang out of order.

obelisk

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »
Since acquiring a router with built-in traffic meter about 9 months ago, I have found that its values tend to be in agreement with the usage monitor. That is, until today. I happened to check my usage in the early hours of this morning (following the period change at midnight) and was surprised to see it showing 5.2GB. I hastily checked the router's stats which showed a more sensible value of 0.7GB. I kept an eye on the usage monitor for a couple of hours later this morning, and as it remained over 5GB, I submitted a request for Tech Support to investigate.

pdwright2k

• Tech Support
    • View Profile
    • PD Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
That is also similar to what I have seen, it again begs the question that karoos metering systems are not accurate or reliable and thus thy should re-think their charging structure... I have asked them before for a break down of traffic but they have always said that was not possible,, equally they are always quick to blame your equipment and security

David

• Manager
  • Hull City Tigers. Get the AFC OUT!
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »
This is why people shouldn't 'upgrade' from MAX. I'd rather be metered during the evening as opposed to all day but Krapoo know how to milk the cash cow by having it run all day anyway.

stormy

• Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 08:54:07 AM »
This is why people shouldn't 'upgrade' from MAX. I'd rather be metered during the evening as opposed to all day but Krapoo know how to milk the cash cow by having it run all day anyway.

Thing is Max is throttled to hell and back. Since I switched over to the metered service the speed has been first class all the time, no more buffering with BBC iplayer HD, YouTube etc and downloads lightening even at peak times. Only pain in the ass is having to watch how much I download. It's much better being able to do what I want, when I want with my connection now. Does make it worth it.

bobthebuilder

• Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »
someone was moaning about this on facebook

and over a month now i had now trouble with max been getting max speed all day

obelisk

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 01:45:58 AM »
There's a notice on the usage page:

We're currently investigating some broadband usage queries from a small number of customers. If the usage is found to be incorrect, we'll make sure you are not charged. Thanks for your patience while we investigate.

pdwright2k

• Tech Support
    • View Profile
    • PD Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »
U think they have been looking at this post, I want them to check usage for last 12 months and refund the usage that I have been charged for and not used, am sick of them either blaming my equment or security

stormy

• Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »
This needs sorting out Karoo, because of this "small number of complaints" I can now no longer check my usage!!! So how the hell am I supposed to know what I have left?

People will now run the risk of being charged for going over their limit or just have to stop using their net.

This isn't acceptable.

bobthebuilder

• Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »
dont they email you when you get near your limit

stormy

• Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
What level of usage is the email triggered at? I tweeted them about it and was asked to DM my number as they said they would have a look and heard nothing for 2 days so far. How can a metered service not have a useable usage monitor? Its beyond a joke to be honest.