Author Topic: onlive.co.uk  (Read 1828 times)

dylan

• Administrator
  • Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
onlive.co.uk
« on: September 24, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
I've just signed up for onlive.co.uk but I'm awaiting 'account activation'. It's a pretty good idea, but I do wonder how smoothly it'll run in a real life situation. The service uses 3GB of data an hour by all accounts which means that most users will hit a cap pretty quickly, especially with a Karoo or NGU Internet connection.

Has anybody used onlive yet? Any comments?

http://www.onlive.co.uk/

Karoo Pro 1 Customer

dannyb

• Manager
    • View Profile
Re: onlive.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »
I find the delay unbearable. And the fact it uses so much bandwidth, it'd use less just downloading the game! It's only a good option for people who don't have a good machine to run the games, which I'd guess isn't a huge problem anymore, you can build a very cheap PC which can run modern games very well.

David

• Manager
  • Hull City Tigers. Get the AFC OUT!
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I was thinking this would be a good idea for Microsoft to buy them out and use onlive for windows phone for example

dylan

• Administrator
  • Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
I noticed on the site it suggests an android app but I haven't seen any games which support this format yet.
Karoo Pro 1 Customer

commandergc

• Director
  • "Double the gun, double the fun!"
    • View Profile
    • ?!?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »
It doen't matter Dylan the Onlive app handels the control translation so in theory you could use touch based controls on most games. I've played with the PC version for awhile it's pretty good as long as you have very low latency. But it does consume a lot of bandwidth if you run it in full HD.

Days Before Tomorrow - The Sky is Falling. LA Music Awards Album of the Year!

allanofhull

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
i signed up for the us site a few weeks back you can get on straight away but not play as its for us customers only i had a chat with the online customer support and they said i will get an email telling me when my account has been transferred to the uk site i asked how long that would take and the reply back was they dont have a timeframe at the moment if i wanted to go on the uk site i would have to register a a new screen name apart from that it looks good from what i have seen so cant wait to have a go lol

dylan

• Administrator
  • Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Re: onlive.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:46:52 AM »
Just got an email saying my account is ready to go but its a bit late. Will have a bash tomorrow and see how it goes if I can get on. I'll let you know.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Karoo Pro 1 Customer

dylan

• Administrator
  • Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »
OK, so had a quick bash on SpaceMarine over the onlive service.

I played on my Karoo Pro connection, connecting to the router via WiFi. The connection to the service appeared to run at about 4/5Mbps or so.

First impressions, the cinematic intro looked pretty awesome but unfortunately, in game when the action hots up things go a bit awry. Turning rapidly causes a noticeable level of image pixelisation which really detracts from the enjoyment of the game. The same is true of pretty much anything moving quickly on screen.

Latency isn't actually too bad. The screen updates quickly when moving and firing, and I didn't feel as if the latency (although slightly noticeable) really detracted terribly from my enjoyment of the game in the same way as the pixelisation did.

Anyway, it's a work in progress but something to keep an eye on methinks! I'm pretty impressed that they have managed to get the technology working as well as it does but I think it has a long way to go before it'll appeal to the masses.

I wonder if folk on a faster link or running the service during off-peak hours will find it any better?

Karoo Pro 1 Customer

Hígh Treason

• Global Moderator
  • Director
  • Blood, flesh... woman!
    • View Profile
    • High Treason's YouTube
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 01:43:24 AM »
Onlive.exe is not a valid Win32 application...

You're telling me, the headers seem to be invalid, oh, and thanks for punching a hole in my browser's security.

Dumbasses.

dylan

• Administrator
  • Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
Onlive.exe is not a valid Win32 application..

You're not trying to run your apps in DOSBox again are you HT?  :P
Karoo Pro 1 Customer

Hígh Treason

• Global Moderator
  • Director
  • Blood, flesh... woman!
    • View Profile
    • High Treason's YouTube
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »
No need for DOSBox, I have DOS machines.

Nah, this OnLive just doesn't work for me.