Author Topic: Peak Time Shaping  (Read 2350 times)

friendlykcengineer

• Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Peak Time Shaping
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »
Sean, the 10Mbps mentioned on the website is the old target before traffic management was relaxed. The target now is that there should be practically no slowdown in peak time, we aim to give full line rate as far as possible. The website will be updated soon to make this clearer.

bobthebuilder, all my comments refer to the Lite, Mid & Pro packages. There have been no changes to the old Max packages.

David

• Manager
  • Hull City Tigers. Get the AFC OUT!
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »
Sean, the 10Mbps mentioned on the website is the old target before traffic management was relaxed. The target now is that there should be practically no slowdown in peak time, we aim to give full line rate as far as possible. The website will be updated soon to make this clearer.

bobthebuilder, all my comments refer to the Lite, Mid & Pro packages. There have been no changes to the old Max packages.

FKCE, how is traffic management performed on MAX option 4?
Gaming traffic still priority? and how does performance stack up on the traffic throttling front? My guess is that this line

Quote from: friendlykcengineer
we aim to give full line rate as far as possible.

also applies to MAX?

richardmyers

• Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »
Hehehe shaping, what shaping? 3Mb connection here, so I don't get shaped at all any time of the day on the Mid package :-D For once a slower than average line speed is a bonus!
Ex-KC customer, now living in BT land

friendlykcengineer

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »
David,

The way we categorise traffic on Max is exactly the same as Lite, Mid & Pro, ie traffic is either priority or non-priority, with non-priority being mainly newsgroups and file-sharing. Everything else, including gaming, browsing, streaming etc is priority traffic.
Max options 1 to 4 are differentiated on speed, ie customers pay more for better peak time speeds, with option 4 getting the best speeds. This means we can't relax the peak time limits for Max, otherwise there would be no difference between the packages which would be unfair to those paying more for better speeds.

Richardmyers,

Yes you will get your full 3Mbps line rate 24/7, but since the changes the same will apply to most customers, even those with much higher synch speeds.

Cheers

FKCE

Scotty

• Global Moderator
  • Ofcom Inspector
  • Hai there.. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »
Thank-you for letting us know the facts FKCE.