Author Topic: Complacent Karoo - Man I want out!  (Read 3984 times)

coldpookie

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
Complacent Karoo - Man I want out!
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:00:02 PM »
I don't like to Troll around the forum.  I suppose its sort of allowed in this section though :-)

My router recently failed, so I called Karoo to see if they would at least price match the Thompson router with BT's Shop (£34 as opposed to £55).  They said, "no we don't do that" - Awesome!

So I have now ordered a replacement for a failed Karoo (my customer friendly ISP) provided router, from BT (not my ISP) at far less expense.

Happy new year Karoo - and thanks  ???

commandergc

• Director
  • "Double the gun, double the fun!"
    • View Profile
    • ?!?
Re: Complacent Karoo - Man I want out!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:22:30 AM »
BT shop has no Thompson routers do you have a link ???

Days Before Tomorrow - The Sky is Falling. LA Music Awards Album of the Year!

chriscoates81

• Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:50:51 AM »
can i ask why you stayed with thompson rather than go for a different brand?

ramtops

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Badgerish Ramblings
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
I don't like to Troll around the forum.  I suppose its sort of allowed in this section though :-)

My router recently failed, so I called Karoo to see if they would at least price match the Thompson router with BT's Shop (£34 as opposed to £55).  They said, "no we don't do that" - Awesome!

So I have now ordered a replacement for a failed Karoo (my customer friendly ISP) provided router, from BT (not my ISP) at far less expense.

Happy new year Karoo - and thanks  ???

Why should they? BT's buying power is far higher than Karoo's, and it's not as though you didn't have a choice where to go.

bobthebuilder

• Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
i got a second hand one for a tenner

coldpookie

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 02:23:04 AM »
Yeah, its wierd, they dont call it a Thompson on the BT website:

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/technicolor-4-port-11n-2x2-wireless-router-7TWD.html?q=Technicolor&src=16

But I think that is is a Thompson:

http://adsl24.co.uk/compstore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=8966

And it is apparently the one which Karoo now supply (mate has one provided by kingston).

Regarding why I chose this router rather than another make was because I thought if I had any problems in the future, Karoo are more likely to help as I'm using a router they also supply (plus I heard that some don't work with Karoo... Belkin)

Why should they? BT's buying power is far higher than Karoo's, and it's not as though you didn't have a choice where to go.

- Yeah, I know what you mean.  They don't have to provide a router for a competitive price, but you would think that it makes good business sense to enable your customers to access their service (via a router in this case), so the customer continues to pay the monthly subscription/charge.  Karoo it seems don't, becuase I have no choice in ISP - and they knows it  >:(

i got a second hand one for a tenner

- Nice, probably all they are worth TBH  :P

Hígh Treason

• Global Moderator
  • Director
  • Blood, flesh... woman!
    • View Profile
    • High Treason's YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 02:58:05 AM »
Even Thompson routers probably aren't thompson, quite often a little bit of careful "reverse engineering" (Such as a hammer) will reveal that a large number of routers are made by Chinese companies you never heard of before and just get put into different branded casing.

If you need a new router I really would reccomend using eBay though, just be prepared to enter the setting manually - still, just think, in the old days you would have had to install drivers and stuff which was much more difficult.¹

¹ I remember a time when I was running dial-up and my modem had died - apparently, 112Kb/s is too much for some reason - so I bought a new one, opened the box to find the modem and a card saying "Appendix: To install the drivers, please visit www.rockwell.com." - they may as well have closed the statement with the cool face.

coldpookie

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
Cheers for the info Hígh Treason.  Like the note about a previous modem  :D.  Could you recommend a particular "works with Karoo" router I could search for on ebay?

I still have time to cancel the Thompson one if there is something better.

Cheers

karvya

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
I would nt suggest buying a Thompson router from Bt as it  maybe locked down to their settings (vpi /vci). If that was the case it would mean you would need to change the firmware or attempt to change the vpi/vci via a telnet session. In my experience telenting into Thompson routers is not straight forward and the menu's don't have any real logic to them. Nor does the help option provide much assistance.
Looking at one of your previous posts I can see you have had issues with a Thompson router in the past so it maybe a good idea to follow the advice from the guys on here and consider a different manufacturer.

Wilt

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »
Thomson no longer exists, Technicolor is the correct brand.

Sean

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »
I would nt suggest buying a Thompson router from Bt as it  maybe locked down to their settings (vpi /vci). If that was the case it would mean you would need to change the firmware or attempt to change the vpi/vci via a telnet session. In my experience telenting into Thompson routers is not straight forward and the menu's don't have any real logic to them. Nor does the help option provide much assistance.
Looking at one of your previous posts I can see you have had issues with a Thompson router in the past so it maybe a good idea to follow the advice from the guys on here and consider a different manufacturer.

I second that and would be wary of buying any Thomson / Technicolor router that has been provided by an ISP other than Karoo (as is often the case on ebay, people selling their free routers) unless you prepared to do some work.  They tend to lock down the interface settings and disable telnet, saying that if you can follow instructions it's not too hard to undo this but you risk permanent damage if you do it wrong.

coldpookie

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
Thanks karvya, Wilt, Sean, and Hígh Treason.

Great info, fully taken on board.  I'm going to try out an older lynksys (pre-N) router to see if its any better (opening my nat).  I have heard that ISP's can also have a part to play in strict Nat types, so it may not be a router problem anyway.

Then I might get this one, seems pretty good for the money:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/wifi-routers/371947/edimax-br-6475nd

Slightly off topic - If in the distant future Karoo provide Fiber to my street, will I have to get yet another router?

Thanks again  ;D

Hígh Treason

• Global Moderator
  • Director
  • Blood, flesh... woman!
    • View Profile
    • High Treason's YouTube
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 11:37:02 PM »
Hmm... I've not really heard any complaints about edimax as far as the cheaper brands go, but I don't know a lot about them

If Karoo did install fibre in your street you would certainly have to get another router, however, KC will more than likely provide you with one at that time.

David

• Manager
  • Hull City Tigers. Get the AFC OUT!
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 02:11:00 AM »

¹ I remember a time when I was running dial-up and my modem had died - apparently, 112Kb/s is too much for some reason - so I bought a new one, opened the box to find the modem and a card saying "Appendix: To install the drivers, please visit www.rockwell.com. ".

Download and install drivers when you haven't got any form of internet access? That's like that dumb BIOS message 'No keyboard detected, press F1 to continue.'

Also, 'coolface', isn't that known better as 'trollface' now?

I also fixed your quote above with your favorite 'emoticon'

karvya

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »
Thanks karvya, Wilt, Sean, and Hígh Treason.

Great info, fully taken on board.  I'm going to try out an older lynksys (pre-N) router to see if its any better (opening my nat).  I have heard that ISP's can also have a part to play in strict Nat types, so it may not be a router problem anyway.

Then I might get this one, seems pretty good for the money:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/wifi-routers/371947/edimax-br-6475nd

Slightly off topic - If in the distant future Karoo provide Fiber to my street, will I have to get yet another router?

Thanks again  ;D

Karoo is not responsible for NAT, that is your routers job. Karoo assign you a public IP address and then you router translates the into a private addresses.   The reason why your NAT is strict is due to the router not forwarding the correct ports onto the IP address of your Xbox. So this is an issue with your router rather then your ISP

If you tether your connection via a Mobile or use a mobile dongle then the ISP/operator would be responsible for NAT as they assign you a private IP address.