Author Topic: Complacent Karoo - Man I want out!  (Read 3891 times)

coldpookie

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
Re: Complacent Karoo - Man I want out!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »
Ah, so its defiantly my router that is at fault then, because sometimes its strict, sometimes open.  Even my printer (which is connected via wifi) will only connect intermittently.  Typically if I turn the router off and then on again the Nat switches to open.

Sorry for straying off topic, I'm still not a big fan of Karoo though  ;)

karvya

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 08:54:47 AM »
Ah, so its defiantly my router that is at fault then, because sometimes its strict, sometimes open.  Even my printer (which is connected via wifi) will only connect intermittently.  Typically if I turn the router off and then on again the Nat switches to open.

Sorry for straying off topic, I'm still not a big fan of Karoo though  ;)

Yes its your router that's causing the issue, i would have thought it have been fairly obvious to come to that conclusion when the problem was resolved by a reboot :)
Karoo is not too bad as an ISP, believe me if you had an option such as BT you would nt stay with them for long. Technical support is rubbish and turn around time on faults is a joke. But hopefully we will have the choice in Hull soon so people can find that out for them selves.

The only issue i had with KC was the shaping but since iv been on the pro package i don't experience any slow down even on NNTP traffic.

coldpookie

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 10:37:07 PM »
Yeah I guess it should have been obviouse.  However I thought everytime you terminated the connection, and then re-connected, you were assigned a different IP (by Karoo) - which would be a different connection (from Karoo's end) - and that might be resolving the problem.  Unless thats some kind of miss logic?  ???

I'll take your word for it regarding other ISP's - I do know they are cheaper though, plus who doesn't like choice.

karvya

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »
Yeah I guess it should have been obviouse.  However I thought everytime you terminated the connection, and then re-connected, you were assigned a different IP (by Karoo) - which would be a different connection (from Karoo's end) - and that might be resolving the problem.  Unless thats some kind of miss logic?  ???

I'll take your word for it regarding other ISP's - I do know they are cheaper though, plus who doesn't like choice.

The router is responsible for forwarding the correct ports to your console and if its not configured correctly you will have a strict/moderate NAT. Although some routers forward these ports to the console automatically. I believe that occurs when the console is assigned the first private IP and all traffic is pointed directly to that IP. The problems come about when more then one device is connected to your router and when the console traffic arrives it does not know where to point it. As a result this causes your NAT issues and maybe that explains why a reboot solves the problem at times.

When you get your new router click on the URL below and choose you device from the list. Then select the service you want to forward (Xbox /PS3), you will be presented with a guide of how to configure port forwarding. Hope that helps.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:37:08 PM by karvya »

coldpookie

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 11:26:37 PM »
nice one karvya.

cheers  ;D