Author Topic: Intermittent/Slow Connection  (Read 1950 times)

Scotty

• Global Moderator
  • Ofcom Inspector
  • Hai there.. ;)
    • View Profile
Intermittent/Slow Connection
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:35:25 PM »
It was only a matter of time - I am feeling the wrath of a line fault.

Started last week, my connection randomly dropped from 4Mb/s to 1Mb/s.
Not only that, my connection randomly drops out, and pings are much higher than usual.

Engineer booked for Tuesday, fingers crossed it's nothing which can't be fixed quickly.

All this happens the same week I finally bought a decent desktop, which can handle something better than Theme Hospital.
Although tbh, I do love Theme Hospital.

Djwindas

• Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent/Slow Connection
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:41:55 PM »
 :D ALWAYS NICE TO HAVE THESE PROBLEM WITH A HARD-LINE MAYBE FIBRE WILL BE ON ITS WAY!!!

snedie

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »
Do you guys honestly expect fibre to be any better? If they had even remotely upgraded the core infrastructure the entire ADSL network would be basking in higher throughput, and yet my 12Mb/s connection still struggles to stream a 360p youtube video. Sometimes if I'm lucky and I stay awake until 4am, I can get 720p with minor buffering.

The stupid part is, a lot of the traffic problems on the KC network are down to the cow boy administrators who design the rate-shape policies. When I download through an encrypted proxy that I own, I can pretty much max my connection at any time of the day. However, lets say I go to any common download site that uses standard protocols to send me a file, what do you know, speeds suddenly go from 1.25MB/s to 0.3-0.7MB/s. This is the same from any website that uses open protocols.

KC/Karoo need to get their act together and sell up to a larger ISP (BT, Virgin come to mind) and let the big boys do it properly. It will be interesting if/when I do eventually get fibre if it can even transfer data at the given speed.....

chriscoates81

• Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »
I was managing downloading from steam yesterday at 10 meg a second on fibre.

bobthebuilder

• Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
lets see if speeds stay the same when everyone is on fibre

chriscoates81

• Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
I was managing downloading from steam yesterday at 10 meg a second on fibre.

That will be the big question.

MickyByte

• Author of the 'Best Post Evaaarrr' TM
  • Director
  • Nothing to fear or hide.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »
I presume KC have already thought of this issue in advance for distributing fibre to the last mile, if you had not have noticed there new package's limit the speed to how much you pay. An Old system ?, maybe so but this has been proven to work in the past with packages such as 250, 500 and 1000 est. Not only that but it would be somewhat idiotic of KC not to upgrade there core network in order to support these upgrades, it seems like some people have forgotten how a professional ISP operates over the past two years.

QoS does not always apply to traffic shaping. ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:48:37 PM by MickyByte »

David

• Manager
  • Hull City Tigers. Get the AFC OUT!
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »
I presume KC have already thought of this issue in advance for distributing fibre to the last mile, if you had not have noticed there new package's limit the speed to how much you pay. An Old system ?, maybe so but this has been proven to work in the past with packages such as 250, 500 and 1000 est. Not only that but it would be somewhat idiotic of KC not to upgrade there core network in order to support these upgrades, it seems like some people have forgotten how a professional ISP operates over the past two years.

QoS does not always apply to traffic shaping. ;)

That's the problem, some people confuse the two, and even think they're one and the same!