Author Topic: warnin - disconnected - heads up  (Read 11391 times)

babyalien

• Tech Support
    • View Profile
warnin - disconnected - heads up
« on: March 13, 2009, 06:35:59 PM »
I guess readin most/all got the recent email from karoo with a newsletter/warnin regards downloads.

well it happened. I was out on a coupla days break with a lady friend and my ex deciedes to download tombraider from a public tracker TODAY.

Well I get home to find the net isn't workin, I boot the router, check over the settings, signal is on, but its rejecting my user/pass - ring up - abuse of the account. The X was "using bit torrent to download tombraider this morning".

Well no waiting for solictors or court orders, that sounds like they was sniffin/monitorin on deeee monoid. I told her ITS NOT SAFE and the ONE NIGHT i am playin away from home she downloads from it unecrypted on her clapped out PC that can't handle the game anyway.

I realise anyone is gonna know who i am who works for karoo, and it was my responsiblity to stand over her shoulder while she uses the web 24/7 but i am friggin angry, ANGRY i say

so yeah, only download legitmate encyrpted usenet or private trackers legitimate files like stock market prices and mutliplayer gaming from here on. gawd damn it

Fastethernet

• Administrator
  • Engineer
  • Don't make me angry.....
    • View Profile
Re: warnin - disconnected - heads up
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:57:51 AM »
This debate has been raging for years and years. Who should police the internet?

I seem to remember the Hollywood studios were up in arms about VHS but when they embraced the medium VHS/DVD's turned into a massive opportunity. Itunes has been a massive success.

Why don't the MPAA and RIAA get together with the ISP's and create a 'media licence' for each internet connection like pubs need a PPL or PRS. Then the ISP's can offer two flavours of connection one with the media licence and one without.

At the moment ISP's don't want to disconnect their customers, they have a conflict of interest, after all their customers are paying their wages and in most situations could move to other providers.

The only people I know of who KCOM have disconnected were heavy downloaders, not that I am suggesting KCOM would use the copyright issue as a means to reduce their internet usage by targeting heavy users.

bashdabish

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:12:15 PM »
"The only people I know of who KCOM have disconnected were heavy downloaders, not that I am suggesting KCOM would use the copyright issue as a means to reduce their internet usage by targeting heavy users."

Is that a conspiracy theory?

My grandad was disconnected (in error) for copyright infringement. It was rectified within an hour but it proves a point that they clearly don't look at your history for heavy downloading. Had they have done and on the basis of your argument he would never have been disconnected as he uses 0.4gb on average per month.

It stands to reason that heavy downloaders are the ones who get caught. Afterall, just how much legal content can one user download in a month?

Fastethernet

• Administrator
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »
The only people I know of who KCOM have disconnected were heavy downloaders, not that I am suggesting KCOM would use the copyright issue as a means to reduce their internet usage by targeting heavy users."

The very use of the phase "conspiracy theory" has certain intonations which aren't productive within this discussion. The example about your Granddad isn't really that helpful since it turned out KCOM had made a mistake. Does anyone else have any first hand experience of being disconnected from KCOM?

I agree with you about the correlation between heavy downloaders and legal content however I regularly get close to my download limit but the vast majority of that traffic is from Linux ISO and updates to bench test systems.

It would also seem to be very difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt that someone could have accessed your internet connection via wireless and downloaded illegal content. Not to mention the various viruses, malware or trojans that could also download/share illegal content.

I am still of the opinion that digital downloads should be embraced by content holders, look how well Steam/Iplayer/Itunes are doing.

commandergc

• Director
  • "Double the gun, double the fun!"
    • View Profile
    • ?!?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 05:56:30 PM »

Days Before Tomorrow - The Sky is Falling. LA Music Awards Album of the Year!

The Dominator

• Administrator
  • Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 09:28:32 AM »
The Dominator....
And the following is what i want to acheive -

This is what Kcom give me:

sphinx_uk

• Receptionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 07:42:07 PM »
i got disconnected a few years ago for downloading and episode of *. I know this because when i called up to see why i couldnt connect i was told that i downloaded a file with this name in  it... However i was using a p2p client like limewire at the time. Not sure how this differs from torrents tho.

****modified by fastethernet due to mention of copyrighted material****
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 04:35:34 PM by Fastethernet »

Fastethernet

• Administrator
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
Hi sphinx_uk,

Please refrain from discussing specific illegal files.

Thanks for the input tho, so what did you have to do in order for KCOM to enable you ADSL line again?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 04:33:31 PM by Fastethernet »

Hobbisbang

• Manager
  • Tick Tick Tick Boom!!!
    • View Profile
    • ecadet
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 03:03:43 PM »

They say file sharing can be detrimental to the networks, but users would not be subjected to draconian profit making.

Notification and service throttling in repeat offenders but removal of service to force a reconnection charge would never be an option Fibrestream Ltd would take.

Quicker thease guy get the numbers up the better !!!!
http://www.fibrestream.co.uk/2009/07/11/helping-us-to-help-you/

commandergc

• Director
    • View Profile
    • ?!?
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »
That's not what this article say's http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/24/karoo_p2p/

dylan

• Administrator
  • Ofcom Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 11:11:42 PM »
Karoo Pro 1 Customer

commandergc

• Director
    • View Profile
    • ?!?
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »
ha a U-turn indeed, more like er we got caught out so now we must 'update' our policy  ::)